We now have puppy pens for the boy and girl cages so the GPs have a huge grass run during the day. Creating shade is the new problem though. They love boxes on their side or with doors cut in them but any moisture and they are ruined. Pet shops sell tunnels like this made from soft pine, but at around $45 each and when you need several, I decided to have a crack at making our own. It was just as easy as I expected. For the next ones I will make them longer and not at tall. But definitely happy with the result so far.
We used branches collected from around the property, choosing the straightest ones we could find.
I then used a drop saw to cut them to roughly 40cm long. I then marked out lines on the workbench to use as guides for the drilled holes.
Then it was just a case of threading them onto some strong wire. Which the ever-so-helpful dogs wanted to join in on.
One all pieces were pushed down as tightly as possible I cut the wire and bent it into a small loop to stop them sliding off. Then just bend into shape. Easy as that.
As part of the never-ending garden makeovers going on around here, I wanted 2 large barrels. I needed something off the ground so that my darling chooks and dogs would not dig them up, and the plants in them would have some chance of becoming established. But then I saw how much barrels were and the idea went wayyyyyy down the list of priorities. I mean who is going to spend $200 to save some $3 petunias?
The blank canvas.
I happened to be at Bunnings just a few days after Christmas, and their pallet recycling pile was massive, presumably from all the extra Christmas stock. I grabbed a long pallet for another project then inspiration struck! I called Mr. SAHL and he was on board. What better reason to pull out all those power tools I buy him.
Unfortunately, heaps of the photos of the progress have gone missing, so what was going to be a step by step guide cannot be. But hopefully, this blog can be inspiration enough anyway. I was aiming for pots at least 70cm tall to deter the chooks. But you can make them any size you like really.
I was originally planning on painting them, but now I kind of like the rustic finish, even with the random chunks of blue. 🙂
And we have progress. The temporary fence is in place to keep the dogs and chooks out while the groundcover, lychee, and pomegranate trees get established. The middle section is where we will be building an aviary in a few months time. Stay tuned!
This little piggy went to market… And this little piggy just wants to play in the garden! How cute is this? Made from recycled cans and a tin bucket, some pink paint, wire and a few screws!
The assembly process was very similar to the Tin Can Men from a few days ago. You can see how they did it in the pictures below. I want one!
This clever school holiday project is bought to you by All Tizzied Up. If you are in Australia and in need of some bows, check out their page.
These are very easy to make and can be as fancy or as simple as you like.
I usually avoid glitter when doing craft. Sure it’s pretty, but after we use it, that stuff turns up all over the place for the next month. ‘The herpies of the craft world’ a friend of mine called it, I think she was right. But today I caved, because an angel needs her sparkle! Honestly, there was no template, just trial and error until I got the shape I was after. You can see the steps in the photos below. Double sided plates for the body would have made pretty dresses, but I couldn’t find any of those, so we stuck with white. Of course you could get the kids to colour them or even use a different colour glitter on the body too. But I was all glittered out after the wings alone!
Cut your plate something like this, that’s right, no pattern, trial and error was all I went by
Secure with tape or staples.
Apply a generous amount of hot glue to the bauble
Place on top of the body. Tie a ribbon around the neck once glue has dried to cover any mess.
Run some glue (we just used a glue stick) along the edges and sprinkle with glitter
Once the wings are dry, attach to the body.
Hang from a string
Paper plate craft.
We were having a clean out of old computer stuff and were about to throw away a pile of old discs, but I decided those shinny little things must be good for something else? So after a bit of thinking, I came up with yet another sun catcher idea. Anyone would think I like sparkly things? It took me ages to work out what to cover, a sphere didn’t seem practical as the CD pieces are flat obviously, so after some uhmming and arrring, I decided wooden cubes were the best solution. The lovely man at the local hardware was kind enough to give me some 3″ x 3″ off cuts for free. The rest of the instructions are on the pictures. I just used clear drying craft glue to attach the CD chips to the wood and the grout is standard bathroom tile grout mixed according to instructions, available from any hardware (we had some left over from the laundry renovation).
Recycled DVD / CD Sun catcher
Gather your old CDs, DVDs the more different colours the better.
Cut ’em up! Tin snips, side cutters, or seceteurs as I have.
Munched up CDs!
Drill hooks into each corner of the wood, placing a fishing swivel between, so they can spin freely in the wind.
Some white paint to enhance the colour of the glass tiles
Stick on the pieces covering as much area as you can.
Make some grout, following instructions on pack.
Dollop on the grout
Smooth over with a spatula (instructions for tiles suggest a squeegee)
Remove as much excess as you can, then allow to set for an hour or more (weather conditions will vary this time)
Use a dry or every so slightly damp sponge, remove more of the excess once it has set to a powdery consistency.
Let set over night. Then wash off any excess dust.
Sun Catcher. CD / DVD
Recycled DVD / CD Sun catcher
Sun catcher / Disco Cube!
Hang on display
Sun Catcher. CD / DVD