We now have puppy pens for the boy and girl cages so the GPs have a huge grass run during the day. Creating shade is the new problem though. They love boxes on their side or with doors cut in them but any moisture and they are ruined. Pet shops sell tunnels like this made from soft pine, but at around $45 each and when you need several, I decided to have a crack at making our own. It was just as easy as I expected. For the next ones I will make them longer and not at tall. But definitely happy with the result so far.
We used branches collected from around the property, choosing the straightest ones we could find.
I then used a drop saw to cut them to roughly 40cm long. I then marked out lines on the workbench to use as guides for the drilled holes.
Then it was just a case of threading them onto some strong wire. Which the ever-so-helpful dogs wanted to join in on.
One all pieces were pushed down as tightly as possible I cut the wire and bent it into a small loop to stop them sliding off. Then just bend into shape. Easy as that.
This little piggy went to market… And this little piggy just wants to play in the garden! How cute is this? Made from recycled cans and a tin bucket, some pink paint, wire and a few screws!
The assembly process was very similar to the Tin Can Men from a few days ago. You can see how they did it in the pictures below. I want one!
This clever school holiday project is bought to you by All Tizzied Up. If you are in Australia and in need of some bows, check out their page.
Valentines day is not a huge thing here in Australia, like Halloween (we obviously don’t have Thanksgiving or 4th of July celbertons either) but it is one bandwagon I am willing to get on for the craft side of things at least. Also willing to accept all donations of fine jewellery and flowers, lol.
I originally wanted to make these 3D, but I couldn’t work out what to use as a frame for them that could be removed late (like a balloon), so I just went with flat ones.
The whole things was a bit of an experiment for me too, as I have never played with liquid starch before (took me 6 months to even find it). The white ones I just used straight starch, and the red ones I used a corn flour and starch mix, roughly 50/50, with a dash of food colouring. The ones with the corn starch turned out much firmer, but the white ones were still firm enough to work with. Once completely dry, I traced out heart shapes with a black marker using cookie cutters. Cut the shapes out with sharp scissors and threaded them up – ready to hang.
Corn starch, (corn flour) Liquid starch, food colouring, doily or lace.
Soak doily in solution and lay on a non stick surface
Place in the sun to dry
Demonstrating how firm the dried product is.
Trace out shapes on back side, cut out.
Thread, I used coloured cotton because I couldn’t find my fishing line